About Our Campaign
Did you know that Diversionary is the only theatre in San Diego that owns and operates its own facility? Securing Our Future is Diversionary’s $2.5 million campaign to substantially renovate our home on Park Boulevard and pay off the existing mortgage. Renovations include:
- A new marquee to increase our street presence,
- Transforming our lobby to become Diversionary’s third performance venue as an intimate Cabaret space,
- Replace our aging staircase to our Mainstage and redirecting it from the sidewalk to our patio,
- Full patron restroom makeover to become gender neutral, including adding a restroom backstage for cast and crew,
- Expanding the size of the seats and stage in the Mainstage,
- Enlarging the Black Box theatre,
- Upgrading technical equipment and scenic shop facility,
- Improving ADA compliance and accessibility,
- And the addition of the new Education Center to support our growing arts education and outreach activities.
In response to COVID-19, Diversionary’s new design implements state of the art safety and security measures to become a model of producing safely in an intimate theatre setting. Safety and security features include:
- Optimized air circulation and bipolar ionization and filtration of our HVAC system,
- Incorporation of touch-free facilities and anti-microbial materials,
- Sanitizing stations installed in key locations throughout the facility,
- Addition of a retractable security screen,
- And a state of the art video security surveillance system.
Diversionary Theatre invites you to make your mark in our newly renovated Robert L. Granat & Alfred J. Mazur Mainstage by participating in our Take-A-Seat program, a theatre seat naming campaign.
Starting at $1,000, your name or the name of a person or organization you would like to honor will be elegantly engraved on a plaque affixed to the arm of one of our brand new theatre seats.
Your contribution will fund Diversionary’s Securing Our Future – A Theatre Enhancement & Safety Campaign, ensuring the future of LGBTQ theatre in the San Diego community.
Take-A-Seat Donation Levels
$2,500 for Premium Front Row and Center Aisle Seating
$1,500 for Prime Center Seating
$1,000 for Side and Rear Seating
Take-A-Seat in Diversionary’s new Mainstage and create
a lasting legacy at the third oldest LGBTQ theatre in the nation!
PLEASE NOTE: The naming of theatre seats does not guarantee the availability of those seats to
patrons or their guests during Diversionary performances, but rather commemorates the spirit of generosity of those who have courageously contributed to help make this rare and ambitious campaign successful. Seat naming rights will be in effect for at least 10 years. Specific location of the seat(s) within the desired section of the theatre will be determined by Diversionary Theatre staff, who will notify you of the location.
Matthew Thomason, Chair
Finish Line Task Force
Safety & Communications Committee
Matt Graber, Co-Chair
Beth Kind, Co-Chair
Donate to Securing Our Future Now!
Gifts of $5,000 or more will be recognized on the Securing Our Future Donor Wall at the entrance to the all new
Austin & Joann Clark Cabaret.
Please note that gifts of $5,000 and above can be pledged over three years. To make a pledge, or to learn more about Diversionary’s Securing Our Future Campaign and how to participate, please contact Community Services Manager LB Lujan by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or calling 619-220-6830 ext. 205, or submit a message here:
This is your story!